January 5, 2008

Shame on US

My heart feels broken in new places, even though I believed things were as bad as they could get. This report too clearly reveals the horror of what we have made out of Iraq and the unfortunate people who were born with oil under their feet.
Iraqis resort to selling children
By Afif Sarhan in Baghdad
Abu Muhammad, a Baghdad resident, found it difficult to let go of his daughter's hand but he had already convinced himself that selling her to a family outside Iraq would provide her with a better future.
"The war disgraced my family. I lost relatives including my wife among thousands of victims of sectarian violence and was forced to sell my daughter to give my other children something to eat," he told Al Jazeera.
[...]
Omar Khalif, vice-president of the Iraqi Families Association (IFA), an NGO established in 2004 to register cases of those missing and trafficked, said that at least two children are sold by their parents every week.
Another four are reported missing every week.

[...] He said there are fears children are being trafficked for the sex trade and the organ transplant black market.

Please read for yourself:

http://english.aljazeera.net/NR/exeres/F22B4D85-59F6-4778-8E9F-C15E7F1CDB40.htm
This report was forwarded by LUV, Liberty Underground of Virginia. Go there, join, read, learn.

No comments: